This time of year is filled with people with tons of holiday spirit, and others who are total grinches. And a new report suggests there are some areas around the country more excited for Santa's arrival than others.
The mobile shopping app ibotta has just come out with their annual Naughty or Nice List, revealing which states have the most holiday spirit heading into the holiday season. So how exactly did they come up with this list? Well, they looked at purchasing behavior during the week before Christmas for the last three years, looking for the consumers who are most likely to buy things like milk, cookies, carrots, candy canes and eggnog.
Based on this criteria, Utah has topped Santa’s “Nice” list, since they’ve purchased more cookies, milk and carrots combined than any other state. Meanwhile, Maine, purchased the least number of those items making them the Naughtiest state, followed by Wisconsin, Mississippi and North Dakota.
When it comes to specifics:
- South Dakota purchases the most candy canes, while Delaware buys the least
- Alaska is the state buying the most eggnog, with Oklahoma buying the least
- Lousiana buys the most packaged cookies, while Wisconsin buys the least
- Rhode Island purchases the most baking supplies, with North Dakota buying the least
- Utah buys the most milk for Santa, while Maine buys the least
- Oregon buys the most carrots for reindeers, while Mississippi buys the least
- ONE MORE THING! When it comes to cookies left for Santa, not everyone makes their own. In fact, the survey finds the most popular store bought cookies for Santa include Oreo, Chips Ahoy! and Keebler.
Source: Biz Journals