When adults look back at their childhood, many will fondly remember things like getting to play on the block without their parents watching or riding their bikes without helmets. These days, parents would NEVER allow their kids to do that. Well, a new tread on the Internet forum Mumsnet has parents revealing the things they were allowed to do as kids, which would likely be frowned upon in this day and age, and we bet a lot of folks over 40 can relate.
Some mothers recalled climbing trees, while others remembered being sent down the block to buy cigarettes for their parents. Others fondly remembered spending all day playing hide & seek all over town or being allowed to walk to locations miles from their home on their own.
Other things that would be deemed unacceptable now include:
- “My bro and I used to crouch on the top or near top stair and launch ourselves frog style to the hallway floor below. We believed we could fly…”
- “Going out on bikes all day with other kids. Being out all day with no parent actually having any idea where any of us were.”
- “We used to sleep out in my cousins shed at the end of a really long garden that backed onto a park.”
- “At 9/10 I would take the public bus across the city to school, make my own way to after school activities and often have my own supper until my mother got home.”
- “Swimming in the river as young children, miles away from responsible adults.”
- “When I was little, I remember my older sister and brother use to dial (using the old dial phones) a random phone number & when the person answered they got me to say something silly like 'poo poo' & hang up!”
- “I also remember picking up discarded chewing gum, washing it in the sink and then chewing it.”
- “Knocking on random doors and asking to walk a dog.”
Source: The Daily Mail